1311 South Peterson Ave.
Douglas, GA 31533
The Coffee County School System is fully accredited by AdvancED, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS-CASI).
Destination Graduation for College, Career, and Life
Our mission is the purpose for which we exist as a school system.
An Equitable and Excellent Education for Every Student
Our vision describes a future state to which we aspire as a school system.
• All children can learn • The family plays the most important role in a young child’s life • Children come to school at different levels of readiness • People learn in diverse ways and at different rates • Students’ needs must drive educational decisions • The schools are responsible for educating all children in a safe environment • A relationship exists between expectations and learning • A quality education prepares students for college, career, and life • Learning occurs when students are motivated and engaged • Effective teaching promotes learning • Nurturing relationships support learning • Creating a caring culture is key to engaging all learners • Community engagement and support are vital for effective schools • Parents, schools, community, and students share the responsibility for educating all children and for each student’s educational success • The community and the state have the responsibility to ensure that a viable public educational program is provided for all children and youth • Visionary leadership is essential to continuous improvement • Employing and retaining highly qualified, effective staff and providing opportunities for their professional growth are crucial to the schools’ effectiveness
• Responsibility for children’s readiness lies with the adults who care for them and the systems that support them • The first five years of life are a critical developmental period
Teaching and Learning
• Higher levels of learning are attainable for all students • A viable curriculum is comprehensive in scope, balanced, continually improved, connected to the real world, and based on a common set of learning expectations • Instructional strategies have a significant influence on student learning • Balanced assessments are an integral component of effective teaching • Integration of technology enhances student engagement • Learning is a function of accessibility to information and the ability to make judgments about the quality of the information • Learning is enhanced when the learning environment is flexible and adaptable • People need a combination of real and virtual places for learning
• Selection and ongoing support of teachers and leaders affect the quality of teaching • Adequate compensation and ongoing performance evaluation and feedback are essential to retaining high-quality teachers and leaders • Motivation and attitude are major determinants of performance • Professional collaboration enhances effectiveness at all levels
Governance and Leadership
• Effective governance requires a strategic vision • Good governance requires effective leaders with integrity, ethical behavior, and good intent • Organizational structures and processes at the school and system levels affect learning • Highly reliable schools and school systems are consistent in holding high expectations for everyone • Effective leadership is crucial to creating a climate and culture that are conducive to learning
Our Strategic Goals
Goal 1: Children entering school ready to learn Goal 2: A curriculum that is broad, challenging, relevant, and real for all students Goal 3: Instructional practices that increase students’ motivation, engagement, and success Goal 4: A balanced student assessment system with multiple measures of student learning Goal 5: High school graduates who are ready for college or career entry and for life itself Goal 6: Organizational and governance structures that support student learning Goal 7: A highly reliable and accountable school system that guarantees qualified and effective leaders, teachers, and support staff throughout the school system Goal 8: Increased parental engagement and satisfaction and improved community relations Goal 9: Adequate financial resources expended effectively and efficiently to maximize student learning